Spiced tomato and egg brunch
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup ripe cherry tomatoes
- 1 egg per person
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- sourdough bread
Bring a frying pan to medium heat, add the olive oil and cook the onions for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
Add the garlic and spices and cook for another minute or two. Pour in the tomatoes, tinned and fresh, and cook for about 10 minutes on a gentle simmer.
In another pan, fry the eggs sunny-side-up. Serve each person a good spoonful of the tomatoes, topped with the egg and place a big plate of bread slices with good butter in the centre of the table.
Find more breakfast and brunch recipes:
- Banana and honey porridge
- Basic pancakes
- Big breakfast
- Bull's eye egg
- Fluffy cheese omelette
- Breakfast burritos
- Golden brunch puffs
- Baked cinnamon apple porridge
- Homemade crumpets
- Almond croissants
- Bacon and egg muffins
- Lemon butter
- Apple & hazelnut bircher muesli
- I add lots of chili and a squeeze of lemon juice to mine, and if it’s handy, half an avocado, too.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.