Did someone say party? For your next BBQ try these interesting nibbles. Sunsets on a plate!
Little Red Devilled Eggs
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4-1 cup canned beetroot juice from a 425g tin of canned beetroot
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp harissa
- 8 eggs hard boiled
- 3 tbsp kewpie japanese mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp curry powder
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp harissa paste
- coriander to serve
- In a medium saucepan, combine the apple cider vinegar, canned beetroot juice, brown sugar, harissa and smoked paprika, and cook over a medium high heat, until the sugar is dissolved. This should take about five minutes.
- Peel and wash your hard boiled eggs, and gently place them into a large, clean jar. Pour the pickling liquid over the eggs, and allow to cool before transferring to the fridge overnight. The longer you leave the eggs in the pickling liquid, the stronger they will taste, and the deeper the red colour will be. Be warned: pickled boiled eggs have a slight pungent smell. Don’t let it put you off!
- Once the eggs are pickled, slice them in half lengthways, and gently remove the yolks from the whites. Transfer them to a small bowl.
- Mash the egg yolks well, and then add the all ingredients for the filling. Mix until well combined, and then gently spoon back into the eggs. Top with some chopped coriander, and serve.