Steamed chicken dumplings
Makes about 15 dumplings
- 200g chicken mince
- 100g water chestnuts, drained, rinsed and diced
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 20 fresh flour wonton wrappers
Lemon soy dipping sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
Mix all dumpling ingredients (except the wonton wrappers) together in a large bowl. Lay wonton wrappers on a lightly floured work surface and place a teaspoon of the mixture right in the middle of each.
Bring two opposite corners together, pinch to seal then repeat with the other corners. Dip your fingers in a little water to help seal the pastry and press together tightly – you will need to ensure there is no extra air inside as they may burst during cooking if there is.
Place a medium-sized saucepan of water on high heat and bring to the boil.
Line a bamboo steamer with baking paper then add as many dumplings as you can comfortably fit in there and steam for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (open one up and test just to be sure).
Repeat with remaining dumplings.
For the dipping sauce; just combine all ingredients and whisk. Season to taste.
Find more Chinese recipes
- Asian noodle salad
- Chilli garlic beef stir fry
- Chinese chicken and sweet corn soup
- Chinese chicken wings
- Chinese five spice pork and roast vanilla pear salad
- Chinese lemon chicken
- Chinese plum marinade
- Dim sims
- Five spice lamb and brocollini stir-fry
- Five spice pork with couscous
- Fried rice
- Healthy spring rolls
- Teriyaki chicken skewers
- Won ton noodle soup
- Swap the chicken mince with pork if you prefer
- You can also shallow fry these dumplings; just fill a large saucepan with about 1cm of vegetable oil and heat. Then fry for about 3 minutes on each side.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.