Deep fried wontons are a great appetiser and kids love their crunchy texture. These have a tasty pork and prawn centre in a crispy coating.
Whip up a plate of these, add some dipping sauces, and dig in!
- 1 egg
- 40 wonton wrappers
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 500 grams minced pork the fatty type
- 100 grams green prawn meat finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- Mix all filling ingredients together
- .In a small separate bowl, lightly beat the egg.
- Take 1 tsp of filling and place it into the centre of a wonton wrapper. Brush two adjoining edges with the egg and fold the wrapper over to form a triangle.
- Heat oil until very hot. Deep fry in batches of six and drain on paper towels. Serve with sweet and sour dipping sauce.
- Sweet and sour sauce is widely available at the supermarket.
- If I'm feeling lazy, I put the mixture into the food processor to combine; it creates a smooth texture.
- Asian butchers sell two types of pork mince: The one you want has fat in it for flavour.
- You really need to stick to the quantities in this recipe. If the wonton fillings are too wet, they explode and fill up with hot oil.
- Pork is pink when it is cooked so you need to pull a wonton apart and feel the temperature of the centre of to get an idea if they are cooked.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot.