Sweet chilli rolls
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheets
- 500g pork mince
- 1 lge carrot, grated (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 small brown onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon basil, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 2 eggs
Place frozen pastry sheets on kitchen bench to defrost and preheat oven to 200° C.
In a large bowl add pork mince, grated carrot, diced onion, basil (if using), fish sauce, sweet chilli and one egg. Combine ingredients until well mixed.
In a small dish, make an egg wash by cracking the second egg and lightly whisking with a fork.
Place pastry sheets in front of you and cut through the middle horizontally creating two equal halves.
Take about ¾ cup of pork mixture and form it into a sausage shape and place it along the top of the pastry sheet. With a pastry brush (or finger), wipe egg wash below the meat to secure the ends.
Roll the pastry and mix into a firm log shape making sure the pastry at the bottom overlaps each other at the egg wash. Repeat until you have 4 logs.
Once they’re all rolled, remove the plastic wrap backing the pastry, wipe over the top with egg wash and cut each log into 5 equal pieces.
Place on a tray lined with a baking mat or baking paper and bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven, cool on wire rack and serve as is or with the kid’s favourite- tomato sauce.
- I like to keep the plastic of the pastry on when rolling these up. It keeps the pastry firm and neat. You just need to lift it at the end when you are sticking the ends together.
- While you’re waiting for the remaining logs to be rolled, place the existing ones in the freezer. They will firm up and be easier to handle.
- These freeze very well once cooked, so if you need to make them ahead of time, just reheat at 180° C for 20 minutes.
- If you don’t like basil, parsley works very well or they can be made without any green for kids who aren’t interested in the colour green!
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.