Tomato and anchovy tart
- 1 x packet shortcrust pastry
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tin (400g) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1/4 cup pitted black olives
- 8 anchovy fillets
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 3 tbsp freshly shaved parmesan
- basil leaves, to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C conventional (160°C fan-forced).
Roll out the pastry and line four individual tart tins or one large tin.
Blind bake the pastry.
To make the filling, heat a little olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat and cook the onions for a few minutes, until they are soft and translucent.
Add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
Then pour in the tomatoes, reduce the heat and cook at a gentle simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir through the vinegar, capers and black olives.
Divide the tomato mixture between the tart shells, top with a crisscross of two anchovies and bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and drizzle with olive oil, shave over parmesan and top with a few basil leaves.
Find related pie recipes
- Baby lamb balti pies
- Bacon and egg pies
- Beef and onion pie
- Beef Bourguignon Pies
- Breakfast pie
- Cheaty chicken pies
- Rocket and mushroom pies
- Chicken and corn pie
- Chicken and vegetable pie
- Chicken party pies
- Chicken pie
- Chicken shepherd's pie
- Cottage pie
- If you don't feel like making pastry cases you can always buy ready-made ones from the supermarket.
- You can make this up as four individual tarts as we have done here or make one large tart and then serve with a peppery rocket salad.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.