Creating a three dimensional shape from a flat piece of paper is a great way to teach your child about shapes and volume. This pop-up paper apartment block comes with two FREE printables that make it an easy activity for kids: just add crayons, scissors and glue!
What you need:
- 1 x apartment block printable template (1 of 2)
- 1 x apartment block printable template (2 of 2) (the apartment block comes in two pieces)
- 2 x A4 sheet of thick paper (210gsm is ideal as it will still go through the printer)
- paints, textas or crayons
Watch the video below to see a whole village of pop-up buildings come to life!
Print the apartment block templates (1 and 2) from the links above onto thick paper.
Fill in the facades on your printables or use our accessories printable (link abov) for inspiration. You can choose from an assortment of windows, doors and accessories to stick onto your apartment block.
Don’t forget, one template will be the front and the other will be the back of the building.
Once you’ve filled in the facade, cut both pieces out (great for fine motor skills, but some kids may need help with the fiddly tab bits).
Fold on all the dotted lines (don’t forget to fold where the roof meets the building).
Put glue on the tabs (a strong fast-drying craft glue works best) and glue it all together.
If you enjoyed making the apartment block, try making a whole pop-up paper village using all the FREE printables.
Hints and tips:
- You can use scrapbooking paper to make a patterned village.
- Lego bits work well with these pop-up apartments: just raid the Lego box to add trees, cars and people to your village.
- Make lots of pop-up buildings, lay down a big sheet of butcher paper, draw in a road and create your own pop-up neighbourhood!
Pop-up paper village printables should be printed in the ‘portrait’ setting. If you have trouble printing, please check your printer settings.
Thank you to Kidspot Australia for the printables.