Blueberry overnight oats
- 1 cup traditional oats
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup (125ml) no fat milk
- 2/3 cup (160ml) water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2/3 cup (90g) fresh blueberries
- 2 tsp (10g) toasted almonds
Place all ingredients into a bowl (except almonds) and mix well.
Divide into 2 bowls or jars (jars are fantastic for brekkies on the run), cover and place in the fridge overnight.
In the morning, top with almonds and eat, eat, eat. If you like more liquidy mixture, add a little more milk.
Find more breakfast recipes
- Banana and honey porridge
- Basic pancakes
- Big breakfast
- Bull's eye egg
- Fluffy cheese omelette
- Golden brunch puffs
- Home made yoghurt
- Lemon butter
- I’ve used no fat milk in these lovely oats to keep the fat content down but feel free to use whatever milk you like: no fat, low fat, almond, rice, soy, etc.
- I also use water in my mixture because that’s how I make my porridge – with a combination of milk and water. But if you like it extra creamy just replace the water with milk.
- Feel free to add a dollop of yogurt, it’s lovely!
- Works with just about any fruit – strawberries, raspberries and even bananas (in fact mashed banana is wonderful to add more sweetness).
- I’ve used almonds but mix it up with the nuts – try some walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans.
- Nutritional values per serve: 1217.2kj (289.8cals); 6.8g total fat (0.8g saturated fat); 8.3g fibre
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.