Caramelised onion and chorizo wreath
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tbs milk
- 400 ml water (lukewarm)
- 600 g plain 00 flour
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs salt
- 2 chorizo sausage (diced)
- 1 cup caramelised onion relish
- 200 g feta (crumbled)
To make dough, combine yeast, milk and lukewarm water in a jug. Leave for 10 minutes until starting to froth. Combine with flour, olive oil and salt and knead for 10 minutes either by hand or in the bowl of a mixer with the dough hook attachment. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 1 hour until doubled in size.
Cook chorizo in a frypan until golden and sizzling.
Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Turn out dough onto a floured surface and roll to form a large rectangle. Sprinkle half the onion, chorizo and feta along one half of the dough. Fold the dough over to enclose it filling. Gently roll again to flatten – you should now have a long, thin rectangle with the filling inside. Place remaining ingredients along the length. Fold again to enclose whilst also twisting to create a kind of coiled rope.
Form dough rope into a ring shape and carefully transfer to an oven tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden and cooked through, turning down the oven temperature partway through if it’s browning too quickly.
Related Christmas recipes:
- Easy Christmas turkey
- Christmas royals
- Christmas tree biscuits
- Christmas cupcake tree
- Christmas snowflake biscuits
- Christmas tree frittata
- Choose strong or 00 flour if available.
- Make caramelised onion by cooking sliced onions in a little oil over very low heat for 10-15 minutes, adding a little brown sugar and balsamic vinegar towards the end. You can alternate with store-bought onion jam.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and flowers.