Cream of broccoli soup
- 1 medium leek
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1.2kg broccoli, chopped
- 5 cups (1.25L) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (125ml) cream
Wash leek well to remove any traces of dirt, then slice. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook leek, onion and garlic for 4 minutes until translucent. Add broccoli and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add stock, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 40-50 minutes until broccoli is very soft.
Blend soup in a food processor or with a stick blender until smooth. Return to saucepan, add cream and reheat gently.
Serve with roasted broccoli florets and extra cream. Or for a simple topping just give it a swirl of good quality extra virgin olive oil.
Find related soup recipes
- Chicken noodle soup
- Curried lentil soup
- Thai pumpkin soup recipe
- Curtis Stone's chorizo and chick pea soup
- Katie's chicken soup recipe
- Pick-me-up spicy lentil soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup recipe
- For a vegetarian version, use vegetable stock.
- To make roasted broccoli florets, drizzle with a little oil and roast at 200°C (180°C fan-forced) for 15 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.