Curried chicken salad
- 2-3 chicken breast fillets, skin removed
- 2 cups (500mL) chicken stock
- 2 stalks celery, strings removed
- half a cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1 cup good quality egg mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 4 handfuls lettuce leaves
Pour chicken stock into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Slip the chicken fillets into the stock, turn off the heat, cover and leave for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, dice celery and combine with herbs, mayonnaise and curry powder.
Remove the chicken from the pan using a slotted spoon and cut into bite sized chunks.
Add the chicken to the mayonnaise mixture and stir well to combine.
Arrange lettuce leaves in the centre of a salad dish or individual plates and spoon the chicken mixture on top.
- The curry powder adds a lovely flavour to the chicken, but if your kids will not accept the flavour or colour, serve their chicken first (possibly also without the herbs_and maybe the celery!) and then add the curry powder for the adults.
- The chicken can be poached in advance, allowed to cool then refrigerated. Mix with mayonnaise before serving.
- Using leftover bbq or roast chicken would make this dish even quicker to prepare.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.