Easter Bunny pikelets
10 pikelets or 5 åÔbunniesåÕ
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk (or milk with a squeeze of lemon)
- 1 tbsp caster sugar (optional)
- zest of one orange
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- honey-flavoured yoghurt
- one orange (segmented)
To make the pikelet batter, combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and whisk until smooth. Set aside for half an hour.
Heat a little of the vegetable oil in a large non-stick saucepan and cook tablespoon-sized dollops of the batter at a time.
To serve, place one pikelet in the centre of a plate, cut another in half and arrange the halves as ears (see photo). Decorate with the yoghurt, blueberries and orange segments.
Find related Easter recipes
- Caramello egg brownies
- Easter egg biscuits
- Ice cream easter eggs
- Glazed hot cross buns
- Iced bunny biscuits
- White chocolate Easter egg cupcakes
- Chocolate bird's nest
- Easter bunny iced biscuits
- You can decorate these little bunnies with pretty much any fresh fruit or even sweets. Grapes also make good ‘eyes’. Another option is to make large pikelets and then use a bunny-shaped biscuit cutter to make fun Easter-shaped treats.
- Swap the orange rind with a little cinnamon or other sweet spice.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.