Fennel and thyme gratin
- 2/3 cup (150ml) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (50g) butter
- 2 large fennel bulbs, trimmed and halved
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp lemon thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- grated zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup (70mls) milk
Preheat the oven to 200°C conventional (180°C fan-forced).
Bring the stock and butter to a gentle simmer in a saucepan and add the fennel. Cook in this liquid for about 10 minutes then transfer the fennel and juices to a baking dish.
Wipe the saucepan clean, add a splash of olive oil and cook the onion and garlic for a few minutes or until soft.
Add the thyme leaves and some freshly ground black pepper.
Meanwhile, mix the gratin ingredients together, stir through the onion and garlic and then sprinkle over the fennel.
Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the top is golden and crunchy.
Find more vegetarian recipes:
- Baked ricotta
- Bubble and squeak
- Easy salsa
- Eggplant parmigana
- Goat's cheese and herbed polenta salad
- Lentil chilli
- Hash browns
- Spicy pumpkin hummus with pita bread
- Vegetarian cannelloni
- Mary May's crunchy on toast
- Quinoa salad
- Zuchinni chips
- Pumpkin, feta and chickpea salad
- Simple pumpkin soup
- You could also add some roughly cubed pancetta to this recipe; add it with the onion and garlic and then mix into the gratin mixture.
- If you can't find pancetta, you can use bacon in its place.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.