Healthy spring rolls
- 1 x 500g packet spring roll pastry
- 500g low-fat beef mince
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 packet rainbow salad mix or make your own using broccoli stems, carrot and beetroot strips
- olive oil for frying
- sweet chilli sauce to serve
Remove spring roll wrappers from the freezer and allow to defrost.
In a non-stick pan, brown mince and continue cooking until the fat renders (runs out of the mince) and then drain off the excess fat and discard.
Add five spice powder, soy sauce and vegetables to mince and cook for a few minutes until vegetables have softened slightly.
Allow the mince to cool while you are separating the spring roll wrappers.
With a spring roll wrapper corner facing you, scoop a couple of tablespoons of filling across the paper, leaving enough room for the sides to be folded in. Fold the side corners in and roll it up into a log form as tightly as you can.
Heat a little olive oil in a non stick frypan over medium heat and gently brown each side until golden and crunchy. Serve with sweet chilli sauce.
Find related healthy dinner recipes
- Fish in foil
- Pan-fried lamb salad
- Vietnamese rice paper rolls
- Turkey and mango parcels
- Spring lamb with dukkah yoghurt
- Vegetable tagine with couscous
- Creamy low-fat custard
- Healthy roast lamb
- Beer can chicken
- Tom yum soup
- Chicken in Oyster sauce stirfry
- It is a good idea to keep a clean, moist tea towel on top of the wrappers to stop them drying out.
- You can use any low-fat mince such as turkey, chicken or kangaroo for this recipe.
- This recipe was created by Karla Gilbert. You can read her blog at Ironmum Karla, catch up with her on Twitter, find her on Facebook or peek at her pins on Pinterest.