- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 zucchinni, grated
- 100g (approx. 2 cups) mushrooms, sliced
- 300g beef mince
- 200g pork mince
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 180°C. Bring a frying pan to low-medium heat, and add the butter. Gently sauté the garlic and onion for 2 minutes, until translucent.
Add the remaining vegetables and continue to sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
In a large mixing bowl, using your hands to mix together the cooled vegetables and the remaining ingredients until all mixed together thoroughly. Place the mixture into an ungreased loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes.
After 45 minutes, remove loaf from oven, carefully drain out the juices and turn onto a baking sheet.
Place back into the oven and cook for a further ten minutes until the outside is turning golden.
Serve sliced meatloaf over mashed potatoes.
- This is based on my mum’s recipe and is really fluffy and delicious.
- You don’t have to use the combination of beef and pork mince – if you prefer, all beef mince works just as well (I prefer it this way as the pork is a bit too sausage-y for my taste!).
- You don’t need to use a loaf pan for this; you could place the meat mixture onto a baking sheet or into a glass baking dish and form it into a loaf shape using your hands.
This recipe was created by Kristine Duran-Thiessen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.