Moroccan meatball tagine recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250ml (1 cup) beef stock
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 trays chevap sausages
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 quarters preserved lemon, pulp removed, rinsed and chopped
- 100g pitted olives
Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced.
Heat olive oil in an oven-proof casserole dish. Add onions and garlic and cook on a low heat until soft.
Add paprika, turmeric, cinnamon and ginger. Fry for 1 minute until fragrant.
Add tomatoes with their juice, stock and lemon juice.
Halve each chevap and roll into a ball. Place meatballs gently in casserole.
Cover casserole and bake in oven for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven, stir, add chickpeas. Bake 25 minutes.
Find related meatball recipes
- Meatball macaroni and cheese
- Meatballs with couscous
- Mozzarella meatballs
- Pork meatballs
- Spaghetti and meatballs
- Swedish meatballs
- Adding a handful of sultanas to the casserole when you stir in the olives and preserved lemon highlights the sweet and sour flavour of this tasty dish.
- This is great for a dinner party too as you can prepare in advance and heat up when your guests arrive. Make it look extra special by sprinkling pomegranate seeds and chopped coriander over the top before serving.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot,New Zealand’s best recipe finder.