Roasted tomato pesto
- 1/2 cup olive oil + an extra drizzle
- 1kg ripe tomatoes
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded and cut into rustic chunks
- 1 head garlic
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 50g parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced . Pour a little oil on a large oven tray (or you can use two oven trays!) and spread it about. Add the tomatoes, capsicum and the whole head of garlic. Toss to coat in oil. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until starting to caramelise. Allow to cool.
In a food processor, process the cashews, parmesan and an extra drizzle of olive oil until processed, but still quite lumpy. Squeeze the garlic from the roasted head and add that to the food processor.
Also add the tomatoes and capsicum, a pinch of sea salt and some ground black pepper. Pulse until combined and of pesto consistency.
Find more pesto recipes
- Pesto and parmesan muffins
- Pesto chicken pasta
- Pesto pasta pronto
- Spaghetti with pesto
- Tomato, risoni and pesto soup
- Eat on toast, sandwiches, spooned onto cold roast meats, under cheese on toast, over pasta and in soup! YUM!
- You can use fresh tomatoes for this recipe, or you can drain tinned tomatoes and use those instead. That’s a total win, because it means you can make this season in and out.
- This recipe was created by Pip Lincolne for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder. You can follow Pip at Meet me at Mike’s or on Pinterest and Twitter.