Roasted tomato soup
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1kg roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- small handful of thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 2 semi-dried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp barbecue sauce
Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced).
Toss tomatoes, onion and garlic cloves with olive oil. Sprinkle with thyme sprigs, sugar and salt.
Place in an oven tray and roast for 20-25 minutes until caramelised.
Once cooked, tip everything in the oven tray into a stock pot, removing woody stalks of thyme.
Add the chicken stock, semi-dried tomatoes and barbecue sauce. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Use a stick blender to puree the soup then push through a sieve to remove tomato skins.
Reheat if necessary before serving.
- You can make this recipe vegetarian by using vegetable stock instead of chicken.
- You can skip the sieving step, but some kids might find the bits of tomato skin that escape the stick blender challenging.
- This recipe was created by Alana House from Housegoeshome. You can follow Alana on Twitter.
Find related soup recipes
- Chicken noodle soup
- Thai pumpkin soup recipe
- Katie’s chicken soup recipe
- Baby carrot soup
- Bacon, potato and cheese soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup recipe