Simple beef stroganoff
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g beef strips
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 small onions, cut into segments
- 200g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sour cream
In a hot frying pan, heat the oil and seal the beef strips in small batches and set aside.
Return to the pan to the heat and add garlic, onions, mushrooms, paprika, tomato paste, stock powder and fry for 2 mins.
Add water and stir to combine.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 mins until meat is tender.
Stir in sour cream.
Serve on a bed of rice and garnish with chopped parsley.
- This is a really simple recipe and you can get a great results fast if you use a good cut of meat like rump steak. If you have more time you can use a budget cut like round steak and extend the cooking time by about 15 mins.
- I have made this in the crock pot and got a great result. Just make sure you only add the sour cream right before serving to stop the sauce seperating.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.