- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 700 grams Mince Beef
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Large Brown Onion Peeled and Diced
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Carrot grated
- 1 cup Zucchini grated
- 400 grams Fresh Tomatoes diced
- 1 tin Whole Tomatoes drained
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano Leaves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 20 grams Butter cubed
- Place a large, heavy bottomed frying pan on high heat.
- Add oil and swirl to cover pan, when its very hot add mince, salt and pepper and brown- cook for about 5 minutes or until meat juices have evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion and saute for 1-2 minutes
- Add garlic and tomato paste, stirring to coat the meat.
- Once tomato paste has started sticking to the bottom of the pan and the meat is reddish, add the carrot, zucchini and diced tomato.
- Stir to thoroughly combine then add oregano, bay leaves and butter.
- Place a lid on top, bring to the boil then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Check for seasoning then leave to rest for 5-10 minutes for flavours to meld.
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions and serve meat sauce over pasta garnished with grated parmesan cheese.
- This a family favorite – I had a lot of tomatoes going bad so this was a great way to use them up.
- The butter at the end really gives this sauce a richer taste, however if you are not happy with the addition, simply leave it out.
- This recipe also works well with minced lamb and pork.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.