Vegan chocolate cupcakes with coconut cream
These vegan chocolate cupcakes are velvety and chocolate-y and topped with sweetened coconut cream. They are delicious and a great way to serve cupcakes if you’re allergic to eggs.
12 full sized cupcakes
- 1 cup (250ml) soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup (175g) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 x 400g tin full-fat coconut milk (refrigerated overnight )
- 1-2 tbsp icing sugar
Preheat oven to 180å¡CåÊ (160å¡C fan-forced) and line a 12-cup muffin tin with patty pans.
Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil and vanilla extract to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (tiny lumps are OK).
Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
Open the can of coconut milk and scoop the top layer of white, fatty goodness into a mixing bowl.
Blend on high speed for 15-20 seconds, just until the mixture turns to liquid. Sift in the icing sugar and mix until light and creamy.
Carefully scoop out a cone from the top of each cupcake and set aside. Fill the cupcake void with coconut cream and put the cone back on top. Sift icing sugar on top to decorate.
- These cupcakes are egg-free and perfect to take to school for birthdays.
- If you need to transport these you can fill them when you get to your destination.
- The coconut cream is best served immediately. If stored in the fridge it will go hard so just whip it again before using.
- This recipe was created by Lisa Bright for the Kidspot Australia’s Instagram competition. You can see Lisa’s other recipes atåÊWith a fork.