Vegetarian burgers with couscous
- 1/4 cup couscous
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 xåÊ tin (375g) can brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely grated
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 20ml (1 tbsp) fresh lemon juice
- 8 slices of good bread
- extra baby spinach
- sweet chilli sauce
In a small bowl, combine the couscous and 1/4 cup hot tap water. Let sit for 5 minutes then fluff with a fork.
In a separate small bowl, combine baby spinach and 1/4 cup boiling water. Leave to sit for 5 minutes and then drain. Press firmly between paper towels to get rid of excess moisture.
In a bowl combine the couscous, spinach and the rest of the patty ingredients. Form the mixture into four patties. Refrigerate uncovered for 25 minutes, until firm.
Heat a large frypan until hot, spray lightly with cooking oil. Fry the patties, for 5 minutes each side, turning once.
Serve as a sandwich, spreading each bread slice thinly with sweet chilli sauce and adding some extra spinach for colour.
- These veggie burgers freeze well, either as patties or cooked burgers. Individually wrap each patty or burger and freeze in a resealable bag. Keeps well for up to 3 months. Defrost completely before cooking or reheating.
- You can use burger buns with these burgers but try to make sure they donÛªt have added sugar. Most burger-style buns have a lot.
- This recipe was created by Maxabella ofåÊMaxabella loves…åÊFollow Maxabella onåÊFacebookåÊoråÊPinterest.