White fish baked in tomato and caper sauce
This white fish is baked in a very tasty tomato and caper sauce. These are flavours that pack a punch.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 bunch basil, leaves and stems separated and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tin (400g) diced tomatoes
- 2 snapper or other firm white fish fillets, deboned
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed
Preheat the oven to 220å¡C conventional (200å¡C fan-forced).
Heat the oil over a medium heat in an ovenproof frying pan and cook the garlic and basil stalks for a minute, until fragrant.
Add the tomatoes and basil leaves and stir well, cooking for 10 minutes at a gentle simmer.
Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper.
Place the fish over the tomato sauce in the frying pan and put the pan in the oven for 10 minutes.
Serve with some steamed brown rice and/or crusty bread.
- When cooking this dish for the whole family I hold the capers back until serving time, so they only go to those who love capers.
- If you are really in a hurry you can place the fish over the sauce and put a lid on the pan. It will be cooked in 5-8 minutes.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s beståÊrecipe finder.åÊYou can follow Sophie onåÊLocal Is Lovely,åÊFacebook,åÊTwitteråÊoråÊPinterest.