Using just a pot and a frying pan you can quickly whip up this delicious and nutritious family friendly meal.
A flavoursome and budget friendly family dinner.
Creamy Broccoli. Bacon and Basil Pasta
- 1 brown onion finely diced
- 1 red capsicum thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced / finely chopped. Optional
- 300 grams shoulder bacon diced 1cm
- 1 drizzle oil
- 200 grams basil pesto
- 125 grams sour cream
- 1 pack (120grams) baby spinach
- 1 head broccoli cut into small florets
- 350 gram dried pasta approximately
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- 50 grams parmesan cheese finely grated
- Before you start, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- Finely dice onion and garlic and thinly slice capsicum. Cut broccoli into small florets and set aside. Dice bacon.
- Put pasta into the pot of boiling water for 8 minutes, Add the broccoli and cook a further 2 minutes until just tender. Drain and return everything to the pot and stir through the olive oil (to prevent the pasta sticking together).
- While the pasta is cooking heat the oil in a large fry pan on medium heat. Cook bacon for about 5 minutes until starting to brown. Add onion, capsicum and garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add pesto, sour cream, pasta =, broccolo, and spinach. Cook a further minutes until warmed through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with parmesan and some fresh basil if you have some.
Recipe provided by Bargain Box – Family Choice and adapted for Kidspot NZ.