Moussaka is to Greeks what lasagne is to Italians. This version uses potato to layer between the meat and sauce to make a filling and nutritious dish.
Cheesy Lamb Moussaka
- 800 grams potatoes thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 drizzle oil
- 1 brown onion finely diced
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 drizzle oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp each oregano, rosemary, thyme, smoked paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, mint
- 600 grams lamb mince
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 100 grams feta cheese
- 1 head broccoli cut into small florets
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp butter
- Before you start - preheat the oven to 220°C (or 200°C fan bake). Set aside a large baking dish.
- Prepare and cook potatoes - prepare potatoes and toss with oil on 1-2 lined oven trays. Season with salt and roast for about 20 minutes until softened.
- Prepare and cook filling - prepare onion and carrot. Heat oil in a large fry-pan on high and heat and cook onion and carrot for about 3 minutes until softened. Add salt, herbs, spices, and lamp and cook a further 5-6 minutes, until browned. Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes, stock and soy sauce. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium and cook for 8-10 minutes, until thickened and reduced. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook topping - melt butter in a medium pot on medium heat. Whisk in flour and salt and cook for about 1 minutes. Whisk in flour and salt and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in milk, 1/2 cup at a time, then simmer gently for about 1 minute, until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat. whisk in egg and season to taste with pepper.
- Assemble and bake moussaka - pour half the filling into baking dish and top with half the potato. Repeat with remaining filling and potato, then pour over topping and crumble over feta. Bake for about 10 minutes until topping starts to brown. If you would like more colour on the top switch oven to high grill and cook a further 1-2 minutes.
- Prepare and cook greens - prepare broccoli and garlic. Melt butter in a medium, fry-pan on medium-high heat. Add garlic and broccoli and cook for 3-4 minutes. until broccoli is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve moussaka with greens on the side.
Recipe provided by Bargain Box – Family Choice and adapted for Kidspot NZ.