This Japanese inspired chicken meal is full of flavour and crunch and is sure to become a family favourite.
Ready in about 30 minutes, make it even easier with a bag of coleslaw instead of making your own.
Crispy Japanese Chicken with Crunchy Sesame Slaw
- 300 grams jasmine rice
- 2 1/4 cup boiling water
- 600 grams free range chicken breasts diced into 3cm cubes
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 drizzle oil
- 1 bag coleslaw (around 400 grams)
- 50 grams sesame seeds
- 70 grams crispy noodles
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 baby bok choy thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- Before you start, bring a full kettle of water to the boil
- Cook rice - combine rice, boiling water measure and a pinch of salt in a medium pot and bring to the boil with the lid on, Once boiling, reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes (make sure it's still simmering). Turn off heat and steam, covered, for 5 more minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- Prepare chicken - pat chicken dry a dice into 3 cm. Add to a large bowl along with the remaining chicken ingredients. Toss well to combine.
- Cook chicken - heat oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Shake excess flour off chicken and pop into pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes until cooked through and golden. You may need to do this in batches. Turn occasionally to cook on all sides. Set aside on paper towels and season with salt.
- Prepare slaw - slice bok choy and add to a large bowl with remaining slaw ingredients. Mix to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Prepare sesame mayo - in a small bowl, combine second measures of mayonnaise and sesame oil.
- Serve rice with chicken, slaw and sesame mayo.
Recipe provided by Bargain Box – Family Choice and adapted for Kidspot NZ.