Jam doughnut cupcakes
- 200g butter, softened
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Preheat oven to 180°C. Place cupcake papers in two 12-hole muffin trays. In an electric mixer, beat butter for 2-3 minutes until pale in colour and creamy.
Add sugar one third at a time, beating well between each addition.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating for about a minute between each addition. Add the vanilla essence and beat until combined.
Sift flour and baking powder and add half to butter mixture with half the milk, beat until just combined. Repeat with remaining flour and milk.
Spoon mixture into cupcake papers until 1/3 full. Make a little well and place ½ teaspoon jam in the centre of the mixture and then cover with more mixture until ¾ full. Bake for about 15 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
While the cupcakes are still hot, brush with melted butter and then sprinkle with combined sugar and cinnamon. Transfer to wire racks and allow to cool completely.
- The kids will love to help spoon in the jam, although Mum and I had plenty of fun making them!
- The jam does tend to ‘sink’, so make sure you have a good 1/3 to ½ full cupcake paper before putting the jam in..
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.