Leftover day rice salad
- 2 large leftover (cooked) sausages
- 2 cups leftover roast vegetables
- 2-3 cups cooked rice
- half a red onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh continental parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
Reheat the sausages, vegetables and rice in the microwave. I did each item separately in the container it emerged from the fridge. Combine warmed ingredients in a large bowl, stir through onion, vinegar and parsley. Serve immediately garnished with basil ripped into small pieces. Dinner, done.
- I had intended to make a fish salad (coming next week!), but various dull life events prevented me from going to the shops, so I present you with a simple and tasty leftover dish. See Chargrilled lamb and vegetable salad for the vegies, Honey soy chicken for the rice and add some leftover meat (we had sausages with the Pasta bits). Very little preparation and washing up!
- Obviously, you can throw all sorts of things into a rice base like this and end up with a tasty, healthy and nutritious meal. And clean a whole heap of leftovers out of the fridge.