Quinoa and apple porridge
- 15g (about 3 rings) dried apples
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1/3 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/3 cup (80ml) low fat milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp toasted nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts or almonds)
Add dried apples and brown sugar to a bowl and pour over boiling water.
Cover with a paper towel and allow to sit while you make the porridge.
Place quinoa flakes, milk, water and cinnamon in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
Simmer for 3 minutes until cooked.
Serve in a bowl topped with apples and nuts.
Find more breakfast recipes
- Banana and honey porridge
- Basic pancakes
- Big breakfast
- Bull's eye egg
- Fluffy cheese omelette
- Breakfast burritos
- Golden brunch puffs
- Baked cinnamon apple porridge
- Homemade crumpets
- Almond croissants
- Bacon and egg muffins
- Lemon butter
- Apple & hazelnut bircher muesli
- To toast nuts just place them into a non-stick pan and heat on medium. Move them around until you can start to smell the nutty goodness and everything is golden. Keep an eye on them as they will move quickly from gorgeous to gross!
- Dried apples add sweetness and texture – it makes breakfast just a little bit special.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.