Rainbow fried rice
- Red – 1/2 red capsicum, diced
- Orange – 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- Yellow – 1/2 yellow capsicum, diced and 1/2 cup frozen corn
- Green – 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Blue/Indigo – 1/2 red onion, diced
- Violet – 6 rashers short cut bacon, diced
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Cook the rice in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender or use a rice steamer. Drain, refresh under cold water and drain again.
Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a wok over high heat. Pour in the eggs and cook as an omelette, turn, cook until firm. Transfer to a plate and cut into thin strips.
Heat remaining teaspoon of oil in the wok over high heat, add onion and bacon, stir fry for about 3 minutes until golden and starting to crisp. Add capsicums and carrot and cook for 2 minutes, add frozen peas and corn, stir-fry for another minute. Add soy sauce, mix through, then add rice, egg strips and chicken and cook until heated through. Stir well and serve.
- If I know I am going to be cooking a fried rice-type dish, I try and cook the rice the night before or a couple of hours before and keep it in the fridge. The rice separates more easily and it makes for a speedier dinner.
- A lovely colourful dish, but I had to take out the carrots for my daughter and the peas for my son. Otherwise, a raging success!
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.