These roasted baby tomato and olive ricotta tarts are the perfect summer lunch or picnic basket filler. Serve them up with a green salad and crunchy bread.
- 3 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
- 400g tomato medley mix (see notes)
- 400g fresh ricotta (see notes)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) thickened cream
- 3/4 cup pitted green olives, quartered lengthways
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon thyme leaves
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 20g baby rocket
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Place a baking tray on the top shelf in oven. Grease six 3cm-deep, 9cm-round (base) and 11cm (top) loose-based fluted flan tins.
Cut each sheet of pastry in half, diagonally. Line tins with a piece of pastry. Trim edges. Prick bases with a fork. Line pastry with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights or uncooked rice. Place tins on hot baking tray in oven.
Place tomatoes on separate baking paper-lined baking tray. Place on bottom shelf in oven. Bake pastry cases and tomatoes for 10 minutes.
Remove weights or rice and paper. Bake pastry cases and tomato for 5 to 8 minutes or until pastry is golden and cooked and tomato skins have split but not collapsed. Remove from oven. Allow to cool.
Meanwhile, combine ricotta and cream in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and add olives, parsley and thyme. Fold together until just combined.
Carefully remove pastry cases from tins and place on serving plates. Spoon ricotta filling into pastry cases. Top with tomatoes, sprinkle with lemon rind and season with salt and pepper.
Toss rocket, lemon juice and oil in a bowl. Arrange on top of tarts. Serve immediately.
Find more picnic quiche recipes
- Cheaty salmon and broccoli quiche
- Crustless quiche
- Impossible quiche
- Mini capsicum quiches
- Mini quiches with hidden veg
- Quiche lorraine
- Quiche in a cup
- Vegetarian quiche
- If the pastry bubbles up in places you can just weigh it down with something heavy when it comes out of the oven.
- Recipes Tracey Meharg Photography Guy Bailey