Tomato creamy pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tin diced tomatoes, drained
- 4-5 whole basil leaves
- ¼ cup thickened cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pkt fettuccini pasta
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
Boil water and cook pasta following the packet instructions.
Heat oil over medium heat in small saucepan.
Add grated onion and sweat for 1-2 minutes.
Add tomato paste and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes, basil leaves, salt and pepper to taste, and then simmer for 5 minutes.
Add cream and simmer for a further 3-4 minutes.
Drain pasta, pour over sauce and serve as is or with grated parmesan cheese.
- Cooking the tomato paste before adding new ingredients will release the flavour of the paste.
- I add the basil leaves whole for the flavour – the added bonus is that if your kids don’t like green, you can easily remove the offending leaves before serving but the flavour is still in the sauce.
- This dish is a great way to introduce new textures to new eaters; it gives them something to roll around in their mouth and makes life easier when you eat together as a family when they get bigger.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.