Makes 15 crazy clown cupcakes
- 50g butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour, sifted
- 50g butter softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups icing mixture
- 1/2 cup circular cereal like Cheerios or Fruit Loops
- 16 mini skittles or smarties
- 16 sour worms
- Icing pen (available in supermarkets)
Preheat oven to 180å¡C and place your cupcake papers into cupcake tin/s.
To prepare the cupcakes, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until well combined.
Add eggs one by one and then vanilla essence – mix well – the mixture will be creamy at this point.
Add half of the sifted flour and half of the milk to the butter/sugar and mix thoroughly, then add the other half, mix until light and fluffy.
Spoon mixture into cupcake papers, filling until 3/4 to the top.
Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until they are golden brown on top and spring back when you tap them on top.
Leave to cool completely while you make the icing.
To make the icing, place all ingredients in a bowl, and with electric mixer or beaters, beat until smooth and spreadable. If it is too stiff, add drops of water to the mix until you reach the right consistency. Likewise if it’s too sloppy, add icing mixture by 1/4 cups until you reach the spreadable consistency needed.
Spread icing on each cupcake and decorate with cereal as hair, smartie or skittle as nose, and sour worm as mouth.
Apply the writing icing last in a ‘plus sign’ as not to smudge when applying other decorations.
- You can decorate any cupcake you wish – or you could even use pre-prepared cupcakes and frosting for quick results.
- Kids love decorating cupcakes, so leave the decorating to them!
- These cupcakes are perfect for a ‘big top/circus’ themed birthday party.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.