Creamy smoked salmon pasta
- 400g penne or spirali
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 packaged smoked salmon fillet
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon thyme leaves
- 125mL light evaporated milk or thin cream
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions, it will take 6-10 minutes.
- Commence battle with the cryopacked salmon.
- Once you have freed the salmon, tease the fillet apart with a fork and double-check for any bones.
- In a non-stick frypan, heat the oil and cook peas for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the salmon, herbs, evaporated milk or cream and lemon zest.
- Warm the sauce on a low heat.
- When pasta is al dente, drain and return to pot, add sauce, stir until well combined and serve immediately.
- Add some more evaporated milk or cream if it is a bit dry, OR if it is a bit runny, put the lid on and let it sit for a few minutes, allowing the pasta to soak up some sauce.
- Pasta usually comes in 500g packets – I find this too much for our 4-person family, but adjust to your family’s size and appetites and penchant for leftovers!
- This sauce is even tastier, in my opinion, with lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- I often use a quarter of a preserved lemon, rind only, finely chopped, instead of the lemon zest.
- I use gluten-free pasta for me and normal pasta for the rest of the family.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.