Friday takeaway hamburgers
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 medium zucchini grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced or finely diced
- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 egg
- Small handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- lashings of pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 soft bread rolls, toasted
- 4 large leaves lettuce, cut into ribbons
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- fresh sliced cheddar cheese
- Red or brown onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Preheat oven to 150C.
In a frying pan, heat a tbsp olive oil, and fry onion, carrot and zucchini.
Cook until soft to eliminate the moistness of the zucchini, add garlic and stir through. Turn off the heat and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine mince, breadcrumbs, sauces, egg, pepper and parsley, combine well and then add the carrot/onion/zucchini mix.
Roll into patties, and fry in batches in a frying pan with the remainder of the olive oil. Transfer patties when cooked to baking tray and warm in oven whilst continuing to cook the rest of the patties.
Set up your ‘making station’ with butter, sauces, pickles, cheese, tomato and lettuce.
Chop onions and when last patties have gone into the oven, start toasting the hamburger buns.
Put the onions on the frying pan, with olive oil. When softened, add balsamic vinegar and toss regularly. When caramellised, turn off heat.
If you like bacon or egg or pineapple with your hamburger, fry them now.
Assemble hamburgers, and serve.
- I’ve been lucky that I’ve never really had to hide vegetables into my kids’ food but this being a hamburger, I like to inject some extra healthiness into them, whilst making it taste absolutely delicious.
- The hamburger patties are also good if you have some leftover, on their own cold or even with some tomato onion gravy as rissoles.
- If you have little ones who don’t like veggies, this hamburger recipe could be your ticket to get some into them.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealands best recipe finder.