Healthy pulled pork
- oil spray
- 1kg pork fillet
- 3 cups (750ml) V8 Juice, Original
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1/4 cup (45g) dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) red wine vinegar
- 8 large garlic cloves, peeled
- pinch chilli powder
- pinch cinnamon
Heat oven to 140°C (120°C fan-forced).
Heat a flameproof oven dish (with a lid) to medium-high, spray with oil and add pork fillet. Brown pork on all sides and add remaining ingredients.
Bring to the boil, cover and place in the oven to cook for 3 hours, checking every now and then to turn pork over in the juices. Cover the pot with foil and then add the lid.
Remove pork from oven and pull apart using two forks. Serve pulled pork with sauce on the side, salad or in burger buns.
Find more family-friendly pork recipes:
- Pulled pork buns
- Pork and prawn dumplings
- Pork and sage meatloaf
- Pork kofta wraps
- Pork with purple fruit
- Pork roast with crispy crackling
- Sticky 'n' sweet pork ribs
- Slow cooker pork with apples
- Pulled meat is common in America – pulled pork, pulled beef, pulled chicken, pulled turkey. It’s meat slow-cooked in liquid, herbs and spices in the oven or slow cooker.
- If you do use the slow cooker this would take 6 hours on high or 8 hours on low after you have seared the fillet.
- I originally thought you needed fatty meat to keep it juicy but not so. When you slow-cook lean meat in tasty liquid such as stock, wine, vegetable juice or tomatoes, you get a lovely result.
- If your dish doesn’t have a lid, just fold a double thickness of foil over the top of the pot to create a lid.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.