- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons water
- 75g mozzarella, cut into 1cm squares
Combine mince, tomato paste, oregano and water in a large bowl. Mix well and form 2 tablespoonfuls of mixture around a piece of mozzarella to form a small meatball. Make sure you completely cover the cheese so it does not leak out during cooking. I made about 20 meatballs.
Heat a non-stick frypan to low-to-medium heat. Cook meatballs until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 15 minutes. I cooked them on a low heat, cooking top and bottom, then each side, turning very carefully.
Serve meatballs with pasta (see note below).
- My very reluctant meat eater ate these by himself with no encouragement and was asking for them the next night! The cheese in the middle is the clincher, I think.
- I served these meatballs with penne with some pesto and peas stirred through.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.