Warm broccoli and avocado salad
The tasty and nutritious combination of the crunchy broccoli and smooth avocado with a fresh lemon dressing and toasted almond slivers is just wonderful.
- 500g broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
- 2 avocados
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
Place the broccoli in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside to blanch.
Meanwhile, dice the avocado and place in a serving bowl. Drizzle over the olive oil and lemon juice, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and toss gently.
Toast the almond slivers in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat, tossing gently.
Drain the broccoli and add to the serving bowl with the avocado. Toss gently to coat with the dressing, sprinkle with the almond slivers and serve.
- Serve the the salad when the broccoli is still warm to bring out the flavour of the dressing.
- To spice up this dish, splash over a good dash of Tabasco with the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Use the best olive oil you can afford in salads, as it’s a real flavour component.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.