In the heat of summer, it can be difficult to keep food, especially protein cool while waiting to be eaten at school. Try these tricks:
- Use an insulated lunch box or carry bag.
- Use a frozen ice brick or frozen drink bottle in the lunch box. Freezing a pottle of yoghurt is the perfect solution – as not only will it keep the rest of the lunchbox items cold, it also provides a nutritious dairy section of a balanced meal or alternatively add a chilled carton of flavoured milk.
- Freeze sandwiches the night before, as both a time saver and to keep foods cool.
- Chill cooked foods (eg. boiled eggs) before packing in the lunch box.
- Store lunch boxes in a cool spot ( if possible in the fridge).
- Ensure children wash hands thoroughly before meal times and after going to the toilet or handling pets.