A gorgeous yellow elixir of chicken goodness with all the healing powers that chicken soup can possess.
This super-easy chicken soup is a set-and-forget recipe. You can feed a hungry crowd by just adding more water to the pot.
Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
- 4 Potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 Carrot peeled and sliced
- 2 Brown Onion diced
- 4 Sticks of Celery sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 liters Chicken Stock
- 1 packet French Onion Soup
- 6 Chicken Thighs trimmed all the fat
- Place all the vegetables into the pot in order of list.
- Mix French onion soup into the chicken stock and pour over vegetables.
- Push chicken thighs under liquid and cook for a minimum of 4 hours on high or 8 hrs on low setting.
- Remove chicken from pot and using 2 forks shred the chicken thighs. Return chicken to pot and stir.
- Placing the hard vegetables on the bottom of the pot makes sure they all cook properly.
- Mixing the French onion soup into the stock ensures that the flavour is distributed evenly.
- I used powdered stock to make this recipe to keep it a budget meal. It still packed a punch in the flavour stakes.
- Serve it with crusty bread and stir a generous handful of chopped parsley through it before serving.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.