Chorizo fried rice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 chorizo sausages, cubed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups cold cooked rice
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 shallots (spring onions), sliced
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook until it begins to colour and the fat begins to melt.
Push the chorizo to the edge of the pan and pour in the egg. Use a spatula to chop the egg into small pieces as it cooks in the pan.
Add the rice to the pan and toss to combine. Add the soy sauce, toss to combine and cook until all the ingredients are heated through.
Add the shallot, toss through and serve immediately.
- When making fried rice, have all of the ingredients prepared on the bench before you start cooking. Fried rice needs to be cooked quickly and tossed frequently, so you won’t have time to slice the shallots, for example, while the rice mixture is cooking.
- Chorizo sausage is a great deli item to keep in the fridge as a staple. You can use it in soups, risotto and pasta.
- You can replace the chorizo sausage with 1 cup of chopped cooked chicken or diced bacon.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Related rice recipes
- Chicken fried rice
- Chicken risotto
- One pan paella
- Incy mincy fried rice
- Creamed rice with spiced apples
- Chicken jambalaya