Pumpkin soup is a family favourite that is easy to make and kind to the budget. Using butternut pumpkin, nutmeg, chicken stock and a little sour cream at the end, you can have this soup on the table in an hour.
- 4-6 cups butternut pumpkin (roughly diced)
- 1 large carrot (roughly diced)
- 1 large onion (roughly diced)
- 3 chicken stock cubes
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 3-4 cups water
- half a cup sour cream (optional)
- Parsley, for garnish
Place water, pumpkin, onion, carrot, nutmeg, chicken stock, salt and pepper in large pot and bring to the boil.
Simmer for 1 hour or until pumpkin is tender
Remove soup from heat and puree soup in a blender.
Return soup to pot and heat through.
Add half a cup of sour cream, stirring through without boiling.
- For a special touch you can serve soup in fresh breadrolls with the centres scooped out. Warm rolls in the oven first.
- Garnish with a swirl of sour cream and parsley.