Serves: Makes 20 – 30 balls
- ¼ cup of raw almonds or cashew nuts (to make them nut free, just add another ¼ cup of sunflower seeds)
- ¾ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup shredded coconut + ⅓ cup for rolling
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of ground ginger and nutmeg (approx. ¼ tsp of each) – optional, not essential
- 12 soft pitted Medjool dates or 36 pitted dried dates soaked in 3tbsp boiling water
- 1 very large carrot (120g) peeled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Set up your Kenwood Food Processor with the fine grater disc and finely grate the carrots. Remove from the food processor and set aside in a bowl.
Swap the grating disc for the chopping blade and put the sunflower seeds, nuts, spices and coconut in the Kenwood food processor and pulse until combined and resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Add the dates, grated carrot and vanilla extract then pulse until the mixture combines and sticks together. Add a splash or water if the mixture if too dry, or a little more coconut if it’s too wet.
Leave to the side for 5-10 minutes to allow the mixture to become firmer then scoop out tablespoons and roll into ball shapes in your hand then roll in the extra coconut.
Chill and then – enjoy!
Tips: You can keep these in the fridge in an air tight container for about 5 days, use eyes to theme the bliss balls for Halloween.
This recipe was created by Claire Turnbull for Kenwood New Zealand .