Invisible apple muffins
- 2 cups self raising flour
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (80mL) olive or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium apples, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar, extra
Preheat oven to 180°C and place paper cases in muffin tray. Sift flour into large bowl, add caster sugar and mix well. In a glass jug, measure out oil (to 1/3 cup), add milk (to 1/3 cup), eggs and vanilla, whisk to combine. Pour liquid into dry ingredients, add grated apple and stir or beat well to combine. Sprinkle with combined cinnamon and extra caster sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
- My children recoil in horror at the sight of cinnamon and sugar on top of the muffins, so omit this lovely touch if it means you can get your kids to eat the invisible apple.
- Or if your kids are fruit lovers, try my ABC muffins which my husband prefers as he likes chunks of apple. Ah well, can’t please everyone all the time .
- Make these muffins gluten-free using gluten-free plain flour and 3 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder.
Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.