Tomato and onion pie
- 1 kg tomatoes, sliced
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 25g butter
Place sliced tomato and onion in a large saucepan over medium heat setting and cover with lid.
Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring every two minutes until the onions become transparent and soft.
Pour onion and tomato into greased baking dish and sprinkle sugar, salt and pepper on top.
Finally, sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and small knobs of the butter over the breadcrumbs and place under the grill setting in oven and grill until browned on top.
Serve as accompaniment to your main meal.
- Add your favourite herb or spice to the tomatoes and onion during the stewing process. Some lovely additions would basil or some cayenne pepper.
- This dish could also be served cold in summer.
Related vegetarian recipes:
- Barley and vegetable soup
- Cheesy potato bake
- Cauliflower, pumpkin and pea curry
- Sweet potato frittata
This is Moira Gillard’s recipe – adapted by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.