Mexican chicken soup recipe
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 (approx 500g) chicken breasts, finely sliced
- ½ cup rissoni pasta (or very small pasta)
- 10 cups (2 litres) chicken stock
- ½ cup lime or lemon juice
- 1 long red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup coriander leaves, chopped roughly
1 avocado, sliced lengthwise
- 6 small yellow squash
- 1 cob of fresh sweet corn, cut into 3 cm rounds
- 1 zucchini, grated or cut into matchsticks
- 1 package of corn tortillas
- salt and pepper to taste
Bring a large, heavy-based saucepan to medium heat, and then add oil.
Sauté onions, garlic, and chilli for one minute until they soften. Add chicken
slices and brown all over , but don’t cook all the way through.
Add stock, pasta, corn, lime juice, squash, salt and pepper to taste, and then bring to a gentle simmer (not boil) for ten minutes until pasta is almost cooked.
Meanwhile, heat a heavy-based frying pan to medium heat and prepare bowls for soup by adding a few slices of avocado to each one.
Place tortillas on the frying pan and allow to warm through, tucking each one into a folded clean tea towel to keep warm.
Once pasta is nearly tender stir coriander and zucchini through and remove from heat.
Ladle soup over the avocado and serve with warm tortillas.
- You can leave the chili out for children who are sensitive to spicy flavours.
- You can buy your favourite brand of tortillas from large supermarkets
- You can put a little avocado and salt inside a warm corn tortilla, roll it up and dip it in your soup.
- 6 cloves of garlic may sound like a lot but it really becomes subtle in the cooking. I think it’s a great recipe for colds.
- This recipe was created by Kristine Duran-Thiessen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.