Red lentil and pumpkin soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- half a teaspoon turmeric
- half a teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 kg pumpkin, peeled and diced
- half a cup red lentils, washed twice and strained
- 4 cups boiling water
- half a cup cream (optional)
- half a cup basil leaves (optional)
Heat a large frying pan with oil then add onions and garlic.
Cook for one to two minutes then add spices and one teaspoon of salt.
Stir until aroma is released then add pumpkin until pieces are coated.
Turn your slow cooker on to HIGH and pour the pumpkin and onion mixture into the crock.
Deglaze the frying pan with boiling water. Pour water into crock, add lentils then stir to combine ingredients.
Place the lid on and cook for 3 hours.
Turn off slow cooker; add cream, extra salt and basil leaves (if using).
Puree in food processor then serve.
- For best flavour results, frying your onions and spices are a must. It releases the flavour and reduces the grainy texture you sometimes have when cooking with spices.
- However if you dont have the time, throwing it all in together will work.
- For an added taste experience; add a dollop of natural yogurt, a shake of dried chillis and a good squirt of lemon juice when serving – delicious!
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealands best recipe finder.