Something fishy potato salad
- 1 kg (4-6) medium sized potatoes
- 415g can salmon
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- ½ cup good quality egg mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons capers
- juice of ½ lemon
Boil the potatoes until tender, drain and cool. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and slice into rounds. Dissect the salmon and remove any bones (try and breathe through your mouth if you don’t like that ‘just out of the can’ smell!).
In a large salad bowl combine potatoes, salmon, apple, mayo, capers and lemon juice. Mix gently to combine. Add more mayonnaise if you like a very creamy salad.
Serve while potatoes are still warm.
- Thanks to my good friend Jacqui S for this great recipe. The apple gives a lovely crunch and the capers a lemony-salty taste. Substitute mini gherkins for the capers if that is more likely to be tolerated by your family.
- I hate the smell of canned fish (but don’t mind it once it is made into something) and cheap cans of fish are worse because you have to spend time over it removing bones and other yucky bits. May I suggest spending a bit more on your can of salmon (or buy a fresh piece to cook) to speed up the preparation and spare your delicate constitution!