Have fun with your kids turning something old into something new! Try this simple activity that transforms tired old crayons into fancy new candles.
What you need:
- milk carton
- parraffin wax
- ice cubes
- Trim the top off of the cardboard milk carton.
- Plait three pieces of string together to make a wick that burns easily.
- Cut the paraffin wax into small chunks and melt it carefully over a low flame in a saucepan on the stove.
- Choose different coloured crayons and add to the wax once it’s totally melted.
- Use a pair of scissors and dip the string into the paraffin mixture.
- Hold the string so that it hangs down the middle of the carton and fill the carton with ice cubes.
- Pour wax mixture into the carton (over the ice cubes) and leave it for a few hours to harden. The ice will melt as the candle sets.
- Once the candle is hard, pour off the excess water from the ice cubes and peel off the carton.
- Wax will become incredibly hot when it is melted and can burn terribly so be sure to always be present when doing this activity with your kids.