Fried rice with honey baked chicken drumsticks
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/5 kg chicken drumstick
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tbs butter
- 2 tsp garlic (minced)
- 4 cup rice (cooked)
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Asian herbs (chopped, *to serve)
Heat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
Pour 1 tbs of olive oil into a frying pan and put it on a medium heat. Season chicken drumsticks and sear on both sides then transfer to a baking tray.
Heat the honey in a microwave for 15-20 seconds until runny then pour evenly over chicken drumsticks and put into the oven for 20 minutes.
Turn the drumsticks and put back in the oven for another 20 minutes.
Heat the butter in a frying pan until it stops bubbling then move off the hot plate (but keep hot plate on) and add the garlic, moving the frying pan in circular motions to swirl the garlic around to cook without burning.
Add the cooked rice in and stir around so that the butter-garlic mixes through. Then return to hot plate.
Now add the tomato paste and stir to coat rice. Add soy sauce and stir through.
Divide the rice among bowls or plates and serve drumsticks on top, either whole or meat shredded from the bone.
Garnish with fresh herbs: coriander, Thai basil, mint or a combination.
Related rice recipes
- Chicken fried rice
- Chicken risotto
- One pan paella
- Pumpkin risotto
- Tuna and rice casserole
- Incy mincy fried rice
- Creamed rice with spiced apples
- Chicken jambalaya
- The beauty of this dish is that it can all be made a day ahead, or it is a great way to use up leftover plain cooked rice. In fact, the rice is best off being at least a day old so that it keeps its structure when fried and doesn’t turn into a gloopy mess.
- If you’d like to prepare the chicken a day ahead or even in the morning for dinner that night, shred the meat once ready to assemble and put into a microwave safe bowl along with a couple of tablespoons of boiling water so that they don’t dry out when re-heating.